Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sam Nahk Song Kampung Pong, Klian Intan

The weather throughout last Sunday was favourable during our day trip to Sam Nahk Song village which was in Klian Intan, Perak (somewhere near Grik , anyway this was the first time I heard of the name besides being there). After all, it was raining cats and dogs for whole of last week.

It was a dana trip and was the first for many of us. There were about 30 members, all from a voluntary service group that I have joined since last year. A convoy of 2 mini vans and 4 to 5 cars. It took us about 3 hours to reach there after going through a narrow trail through the jungle.


Within Sam Nahk Song


After the offerings of lunch dana, we had big feast before we washed up and adjourned to offer some food and other provisions to the temple.








Beautiful orchids















<
sun-bathing or meditation ?

Later, we visisted the reverend chief monk’s meditation place which was situated in a cave across the river. Quite an adventurous river crossing by using the ‘canopy walk’. I silently congratulated the lady who had decided to stay put as I reached the middle of the bridge. I felt (or did I imagined it?) the bridge was swaying vigorously from left to right and moreover, it was a bit worn out so it tended to sway to one side even there was no one on it and imagine having a couple of slightly overweight people like me. I thought I might fall into the river below, the current seemed a bit strong. The only comfort was, I could swim a little, not extremely well, though. But then again, it crossed my mind that there might be crocodiles in the river !!



Finally all of us made it safely across the river. Now the climbing up the cave began ! I braved myself to climb up the steep and narrow steps as I really afraid that I might slipped and fell. The stairs were moist and a bit slippery. The cave was a bit dim (luckily, there was a natural opening which allows the sun to shine through) and damp. I guessed this was also the chief monk’s sleeping place as well.

We tried to meditate for about half an hour. I could not concentrate at all as I was busy scratching myself after being the ‘feast’ for the mosquitoes. Besides that the dogs that followed the ‘sifu’ all the way up the cave were with us. I could hear them walking around sniffing at some people or scratching and growling at their own mates when some of it became too close for comfort.













In order not to slow down others, I climbed down a bit earlier so that I could go slowly, knowing my own clumsiness. On the way, I plucked a few chillies from the trees on the slope. I had the bridge all to myself and it was not as bad as the first encounter of crossing though I got nothing to hold on to as I ventured out; the rail was not within my reach and I only held on to a leaf for support! Imagine that, I knew fairly well at that very moment that it was useless to hold the tip of the leaf; it could never support my weight but just did so for own comfort. At that moment, I remembered a proverb of ‘a drowning man will grab even a leaf’.








Last stop, visiting the orang asli setttlement












No comments: